Poor Man Survival
Self Reliance tools for independent minded people…
Earth Day fun DIY’s – Crossbow, Adobe Oven, Energy bars, Handy Uses for Vinegar, Free First Aid courses and a whole lot more…
How to build Sunset's classic adobe oven
Use these step-by-step instructions to build a rustic outdoor oven
Here’s a very simple oven plan…
Don’t even think about attempting this project. You’ll shoot your eye out, kid.
English philosopher Thomas Hobbes believed that men living in anarchy would lead “solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short” lives. So as much as I’d enjoy rebuilding civilization from piles of trash after an apocalypse, I’d first worry about a way to send petrol-marauding punk rockers scrambling and make infectious zombies take a dirt nap.
Homemade Energy Bars
- 1 cup raw honey (find a good brand here)
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons peanut butter or other nut butter (learn how to make your own here)
- 1 cup organic unrefined coconut oil (find a good brand here)
- 2½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract (buy it here or learn to make it here)
- 2 eggs, preferably from pastured hens
- 4½ cups oats (use organic whole rolled oats and soak according to instructions below)
- 1 cup dried cranberries, chopped (find organic dried cranberries here or substitute another dried fruit of choice)
- 1 cup sprouted sunflower seeds (find organic sprouted sunflower seeds here)
- 1 cup organic unsweetened coconut flakes (find them here)
- 1 cup almonds, chopped (find organic almonds here or substitute another nut of choice)
- 10 oz. bag of soy-free mini chocolate chips (we use this brand)
- 1½ cups sprouted flour (we use this kind)
- 2½ teaspoons ground cinnamon (find it here)
- 1⅛ teaspoon baking soda (find natural baking soda here)
- Add oats to a large bowl with 4½ cups warm water and ½ cup lemon juice. (Plain full fat yogurt, homemade kefir, or white vinegar can also be used in place of lemon juice.) Allow oats to soak in water mixture for at least 7 hours or overnight. When soaking is complete, drain off as much excess liquid as possible.
- Beat together honey, nut butter, coconut oil, vanilla and eggs in a BIG bowl.
- In another large bowl, mix all remaining ingredients (including soaked oats) with a wooden spoon. Add this mixture to ingredients that were beaten in the BIG bowl. Mix well.
- Spread into a large greased baking sheet with sides. Pat mixture down evenly with the back of a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Bake at 325° for about 45 minutes or until light golden brown. Let sit for 20 minutes, then place parchment paper over top and roll with a rolling pin to compress.
- Allow to cool completely, then cut into desired size, wrap, and freeze. Bars will also keep in a sealed container at room temp for 1-2 weeks.
Whether you’re looking for a fast breakfast, a meal replacement on the trails, or a snack on the go, these are the perfect healthy alternative to store bought energy bars!
Source: DIY Natural.com
See all the versatile ways you can use vinegar to clean around the house, from freshening up coffee cups to loosening a rusty screw. http://www.allyou.com/budget-home/organizing-cleaning/uses-for-vinegar
USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map
The 2012 USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map is the standard by which gardeners and growers can determine which plants are most likely to thrive at a location. The map is based on the average annual minimum winter temperature, divided into 10-degree F zones.
We’ve updated our free online first aid course! It now is organized into modules and units. Each module has a quiz at the end. Once you complete all modules you can download a free first aid certificate!
Welcome to our free online first aid course! Anyone can take this course and learn more about first aid.
Our Home Defense Kit offers more useful resources than any other I’ve run across includes the Big Book of Homemade weapons, How to Protect Your Perimeter, DIY Black Powder and a lot more. It is our best selling kit.
Super Hand Cleaner
I was splitting firewood and got pitch on my hands. Usually I use hand cleaner, which doesn't work very well. Today I decided to try rubbing alcohol. It worked great!
Five handy, unique uses for Chap Stick
Who would have thought that there would be so many "uncommon" uses for such a common item? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAhD0bakf_4
I purchased an inexpensive desk organizer tray (from Wal-Mart) for the drawer in my bathroom vanity to hold hair elastics, barrettes, nail clippers, emery boards, makeup, etc. This makes everything easy to find and saves time and frustration.
Lorraine in NH
Lorraine in NH
Tired of seeing your standard of living hijacked? Fight back! [Open now in case of an emergency]
Yours in freedom,
Bruce ‘the Poor Man’
Got a News Tip or Resource to Share With the Poor Man?
Send it to: PoorManSurvivor@Gmail.com
A Shallow Planet Production