Keep Our Service Free-Donate

Thursday, January 8, 2015

DIY Air Freshener, Stretch a Food Budget and the Best Brain Pickings


Poor Man Survival

Self Reliance tools for independent minded people…


 
ISSN 2161-5543

A Digest of Urban Survival Resources

 

"We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence then is not an act but a habit"

-- Aristotle

Homemade Air Freshener


 


Although reaching for that shiny Glade air freshener is an easy way to cover up odors, or scent the air in your home, most commercial scent products are full of chemicals that contribute to unhealthy indoor air and often just mask an underlying problem. As a result, I'm a big fan of natural, homemade air fresheners and good old elbow grease to keep my house smelling great.

In this Instructable, I'll go over simple ways to make sure the air in your home is as fresh, chemical-free, and naturally scent-a-licious as possible!


 

 
Despite evidence which suggests a credit score has nothing to do with how one pays their insurance premiums, insurers still use this outdated nonsense to screw many of its customers…

Credit Score Falls, Insurance Cost Doubles?
My insurer recently doubled my homeowners and auto insurance premiums. When I asked why, the company told me that my credit score had dropped from 815 to 735. Is this a reason to double the price of my insurance?

 

Cleaner Tubs

I hate it when our tub isn't really clean. So once a week when I'm draining the tub, I'll leave about two inches of water in it. To the water, I add a tablespoon of dishwashing powder and swirl it around. After about ten minutes, I give the tub a wipe down and then I rinse it. It always comes out looking great!

 


DIY Power Brush Tub Cleaner


 
 
Essentialism--The Disciplined Pursuit of Less by Greg McKeown.   This is a must read for those who over-commit.  Quoting John Maxwell, "You cannot overestimate the unimportance of practically everything."

 

  • The Best Brain Pickings Articles of the Year (Brain Pickings):  If you are not familiar with Maria Popova or her site, Brain Pickings, this article will give you a great introduction.  You can also listen to Tim Ferriss' interview of Maria here.

 

Baby, It's Cold Outside!

Last winter, I decided that I needed to stop the drafts in my home, so I walked around the outer walls of the house with a lit candle. I turned off the central heat first and was careful not to set the drapes on fire. By holding the candle close to doors and windows, I was able to get a good idea of where cold air was entering our home. I watched for the flame to dance around. Once I found the leaks, I was able to take action.

 



Be a money saving genius, be a friend & share!








                                      

Creating a basement herb garden
read more here

 Bruce ‘the Poor Man’
 

Help support our vices … Valentine’s Day Fast Approaches!

The odd, the risqué and retro

No comments: