Poor Man Survival
Self Reliance tools for independent minded people…
A Digest of Urban Survival Resources
Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
~ Mike Tyson
Survival Gear You Should Consider-Much of it Free
Many of the following items will stand you in good stead during these icy winter days [it is below zero as I post this] as well as in other emergency situations.
Why athletes and government operatives swear by this bar to give them the boost they need. And, why you would obviously want this bar in a crisis situation to give you as much “fuel” as possible. The bar is the MET-Rx Big 100 Colossal Meal Replacement Bar and I have six of these bars in my Escape Bag.
MET-Rx has been in business for over 20 years producing all kinds of nutrition and energy products. One good thing about these bars is that they actually taste good, which is always a nice bonus. My favorite bar happens to be the crispy apple pie. The next food item in my Escape Bag is an actual meal. It’s essentially a TV dinner, but it doesn’t require a microwave because it’s “self-cooking.” They’re called Chef 5-Minute Meals and they come in Beef Stroganoff, Chicken Pasta Parmesan and Beef Stew, to name a few.
Here’s how these 5-minute meals work… 1. Open the box and take everything out. 2. Open the patented salt-water solution. Pour the water on top of the heating pad, which is sitting on the white tray. 3. Put the meal face down on top of the heating pad. 4. Put everything back in the cardboard box and close it. 5. The meal will begin cooking itself and you will soon see steam coming from the box. In 5 minutes, you’ll be ready to eat. The meals taste good, are easy to make, and I have two of them in my Escape Bag. Another food item I have in my Bag is the Datrex Emergency Survival 2400 Calorie Food Ration Bar.
As you remember, Datrex is the company that makes the water pouches, and they also make these survival bars. These bars are used by the U.S. Coast Guard and have a 5-year shelf life. Surprisingly, these bars aren’t too bad and taste like a cookie
You Need a knife. There are a lot of companies that make solid knives such as Benchmade, Cold Steel, KA-BAR, Spyderco, Gerber, and Kershaw.
I would be confident carrying a knife from any one of these companies. But the knife I have in my Escape Bag is made in the USA, more specifically, Idaho. It has a blade made of 1095 high carbon steel. This means it holds an edge very well and is tough enough for prying, chopping, and other activities. It has a full tang, which means the knife is one solid piece of steel and so can take a beating and not fall apart.
In a crisis situation you never know what you’re going to be using your knife for. You don’t want to worry about the blade snapping off if you’re using it to pry a door open to save someone’s life. This is why the knife in my Escape Bag is the Baghdad Bullet by TOPS Knives. The Baghdad Bullet has a 3.5-inch blade and a weight of only 4.4 ounces. It comes with a plastic Kydex sheath, which you can adjust to fit on your belt in several different positions. I know there are some people who think the 3.5-inch blade is too small and it won’t be able to do much chopping or hacking. This knife will be able to handle many tasks but because the purpose of the Escape Bag is to keep you alive in all types of circumstances, I also have another weapon for hacking and chopping.
BASIC BUG OUT KNIFE
There are dozens if not hundreds or knifes that meet our needs. This is everything from the Rat-3 to the Morakniv 511 Basic.
Let’s be honest, price is a factor. If someone is outfitting several packs with basic gear, they probably do not want to spend $100 for a single knife.
The reader may be wondering what knife I am outfitting my brag and go packs with. There are two knives I am using for my basic load out:
· Morakniv 511 Basic
· Morakniv Robust
· Morakniv Craftline 746
The 511 and Robust have a carbon blade, while the Craftline 746 has a stainless blade. The knives cost anywhere from $10 – $20 each. For example, I recently found two Morakniv 511 Basic knives on sale for $16. $8 for a pack knife with the reputation of Morakniv is difficult to beat.
The Leatherman comes with a pair of pliers and the following tools too: • Needle-nose Pliers • Regular Pliers • Hard-wire Cutters • Wire Cutters • Wire Stripper • 420HC Knife FIELD MANUAL #1: SURVIVE FURIOUS MOBS 23 • 420HC Serrated Knife • Saw • Spring-action Scissors • Ruler (8 in | 19 cm) • Can Opener • Bottle Opener • Wood/Metal File • Diamond-coated File • Large Bit Driver • Small Bit Driver • Medium Screwdriver Gerber also makes a decent multi-tool but Leatherman is the “gold standard” for multi-tools.
I’ve searched all over the Internet and compiled a list of all the free survival gear I could find. They come mostly from four companies: Ape Survival, Survival Frog, Survival Kit, and Survival Life. You can see the complete list of free survival items below.
You'll find these organized by category in case there’s a certain type of item you’re looking for. If you learn about any free survival products that aren’t on this page, please let me know! Here is the list:
Books and DVDs
• Alive After Crisis – Not sure how to survive a major crisis? Grab this survival guide while it’s still free. It will teach you everything you need to know.
*NEW!* • AR-308 DVD – Learn how to build your own untraceable AR-10 style semi-automatic sniper rifle completely legally.
• Avoiding The Eye – Sick of the government tracking your every move? This book teaches you how to reclaim your privacy.
• Active Shooter Survival – Learn to identify, react, and defend yourself and your family during an active shooter event.
• Bulletproof Home Security System – This guide explains how to turn your home into an impenetrable fortress.
• Compact Garden Blueprint – Learn how to grow over 100 pounds of organic, safe food from a 4 x 4 foot garden.
• Family Survival System – Learn how to protect your family before the world economy crashes and burns.
• Financial Armageddon – If you want to be ready for the next economic crash, which could happen at any time, this book will show you how.
• Wire Tapped America – CIA informant expresses how “they” are watching you and how you can stop it.
• EverStryke Match – A waterproof Ferro rod lighter that is good for up to 15,000 strikes.
• Everystryke Pro – A mini lighter that works even if it’s completely submerged in water.
• Fire Shoe Laces – These shoe laces are made of 500 paracord, and they come with a striker plate and flint lace tips so you can use them to start a fire.
• Fire Striker – A 4-in-1 tool with a magnesium fire starter, a saw, a compass, and an emergency whistle.
• FireKable – A durable paracord bracelet with a built-in Ferro rod and striker.
• Optic Fire Starter – A credit card sized magnifying glass that works as a fire starter.
• Stormproof Matches – Once lit, it’s hard for these matches to go out. Even after being submerged underwater, they will start burning again on their own.
• Firearms Survival Guide – Learn how to protect your gun rights an gain your ammo independence no matter what the gun grabbers try to do.
*NEW!* • Ghost Glock – This DVD teaches you how to legally build a glock 9mm handgun in less than an hour.
• Gun Magnet – Attach this magnet the the underside of a desk or table. It will hold your gun in place, and then you can quickly grab your gun if there’s in intruder.
• TacHoney Gun Oil – Use this honey-based oil to clean, lubricate, and protect your firearms.
• Undetectable Arms – DVD that teaches you step by step how to legally build your own undetectable Glock handgun at home in under an hour.
*NEW!* • Underground AR-15 – This DVD contains instructions on how to legally build an “underground assault rifle” at home.
• Ghost Vapor Flashlight – A bright, high-quality tactical flashlight.
• HyBeam Tactical Flashlight – The original HyBeam mini flashlight that can also be used as a weapon.
• Q5 TACLITE – A small, heavy-duty flashlight with aircraft grade aluminum construction and adjustable zoom up to 1100 feet.
• XT808 Flashlight – This military grade flashlight is insanely bright considering how small it is.
• 72 Hour Kit – Food4Patriots is giving away free 72 hour kits in hopes that you’ll fall in love with their freeze dried food, and you just might. It’s really good!
*NEW!* • Bullet Bottle Opener – This is exactly what it sounds like: a bottle opener in the shape of a big bullet. If you like guns and drink bottled beer, this is a must have.
*NEW!* • Carbon Secure Wallet – This stylish EDC wallet will protect your cards from digital pickpockets.
• Card SafeGuard – If you’re ever in public, you risk having your debit and/or credit card stolen by an RFID scanner. This device will protect you.
• Emergency Survival Blanket – A Mylar blanket that can be used for staying warm, making shelter, collecting water, and more.
• iPac T-Shirt – A shirt that lets you proclaim your second amendment rights.
• Playing Cards – These aren’t your ordinary playing cards; they also have survival tips printed on them. This is a fun way to review and teach important survival info.
• RFID Blocker – Stop someone from scanning and stealing your credit card information by putting this in your wallet.
• Survival Straw – Drink water directly from the source with this straw. It can filter 1500 liters.
• Survival Superfood – Get a free sample of this super nutritious powdered meal replacement shake. Extremely long shelf life!
• FireKable Paracord Bracelet – A stylish paracord bracelet with a built in Ferro rod and striker.
• Paracord Grenade – A survival kit with 10 feet of paracord, a carabiner, a fire starter, tinder, and a mini straw.
• Paracord Survival Kit – This kit comes with a knife, a fire starter, tinder, fishing line, fishing hooks, and more.
• Patriotic Paracord Bracelet – A paracord bracelet in red, white, and blue with a built in whistle.
Tools / Weapons
• 7 in 1 Survival Whistle – A multitool with a whistle, light, compass, thermometer, mirror, magnifying glass, and storage container.
• Auto Safety Tool – An auto bailout tool with a whistle, glass breaker, and seat belt cutter.
*NEW!* • Carabiner Knife – Replace your ordinary carabiner with one that includes a knife, a screwdriver, a bottle opener, and more.
• Credit Card Knife – A surprisingly durable knife that fits in your wallet until you unfold it.
• EDT Mini Multitool – A mini multitool that comes with a knife, a screwdriver, a can opener, pliers, and more.
• Knife Belt – A sturdy belt with a steel knife and bottle opener built into the buckle. Detaches quickly and easily yet it’s not noticeable at all.
• Master Tool Kit – This mini tool kit has 26 life-saving functions including a saw, firestarters, screwdrivers, and more.
• Rescue Card – A multitool that fits in your wallet. It has a knife, a saw blade, a screwdriver, a can opener, a bottle opener, and more.
• Stinger Spy Pen – A high-quality tactical pen that even writes underwater.
• Survival Business Card – A wallet-size multitool that includes a knife, screwdriver, wrench, bottle opener, ruler, and more.
• Survival Saw – This saw easily fits in your bug out bag, yet it can cut down a fairly large tree. This is essential for wilderness survival.
*NEW!* • Undetectable Dagger – A self-defense dagger made of ceramic so it can get past metal detectors. It is small but surprisingly durable.
Yours for a more secure future,
Bruce ‘the Poor Man!’
Contributors and subscribers enable the Poor Man Survivor to post 150+ free essays annually. It is for this reason they are Heroes and Heroines of New Media. Without your financial support, the free content would disappear for the simple reason that I cannot keep body and soul together on my meager book sales & ecommerce alone.
For a number of preppers, their goal is to obtain a piece of property in a rural area, then establish a self-sufficient farm. They may envision a fruit tree orchard, chickens, goats, pigs and maybe some cattle. Maybe they envision making cheese and butter after milking their livestock.
For the sake of discussion let’s say someone has been on the fence about prepping. They are not sure when or where to start, or even what to do. If someone is on the fence, late winter and early spring is probably the absolute best time to get into prepping.
100 Year Old Woman Still Hunts for Deer
100-year-old woman who lives on her own in Mississippi and “mows her lawn, keeps house, cooks, and raises a vegetable garden.” And that woman had just recently gone deer hunting and got herself a deer.https://www.alloutdoor.com/2019/01/17/100-year-old-woman-still-hunts-deer/
Also, grab an emergency power cell!
Having the Patriot Power Cell on-hand for emergencies keeps your essential electronics up and running in case you need to call for help.
“The Cell is a workhorse of power — it’ll charge your phone soup to nuts 3 to 8 times… I think of the Patriot Power Cell as “everyday prepared.” Awesome for travel or avoiding inconveniences while saving your bacon in an outage. It’s a MUST HAVE for your survival lineup."
10,000 mAh Battery/Water Resistant/2 LED Flashlight/1.5 Watt Solar Panel/6-Hour Charge Time
How to Survive the War on the Middle Class
14 of the best reports I’ve assembled on protecting your freedom-Download link.
Social Chaos Survival Guide: Savvy Precautions To Make You Self-Reliant
A Smoking Frog Feature, Shallow Planet Production