Poor Man Survival
Self Reliance tools for independent minded people…
A Digest of Urban Survival Resources
'Too frail to work, too poor to retire' will become the new normal for many elderly Americans."
"We are on the precipice of the greatest retirement crisis in the history of the world. And that makes perfect sense because, first of all, we have the largest elderly population in the history of the world.
Just focusing on the United States: our elderly are woefully unprepared to retire… And in the decades to come we will witness millions of elderly American's, Baby Boomers and others, slipping into poverty. 'Too frail to work, too poor to retire' It will become the new normal for many elderly Americans."
So warns pension fraud whistleblower Ted Siedle.
Siedle's firm, Benchmark Financial Services, Inc. has pioneered over $1 trillion in forensic investigations of the money management industry. He's nationally recognized as an authority on pensions and investment management matters, having testified before the Senate Banking Committee regarding fund scandals and is an expert in various Madoff-related and other litigations.
In 2017, he secured the largest SEC whistleblower award in history of $48 million, and in 2018, the largest CFTC award in history at $30 million.
Siedel rings a loud warning bell regarding the solvency of today's public pension system. Specifically, his investigations show that most of them:
· Are much too under-funded to meet their future payout obligations (e.g., Kentucky's state pension plan is only 12% funded)
· Are experiencing annual returns far below the required 7% average the plans assume in their forecasts
· Have oversight boards making portfolio allocation decisions that are staffed by individuals with zero experience managing financial securities (e.g., policemen, kindergarten teachers)
· Have little transparency. Many are rarely audited. And many have moved their capital off-shore without accounting for where it's been moved to.
· Are heavily influenced by politics when making portfolio allocations. Pet projects, such as sports stadiums, get funded to disastrous results while making local politically-connected 'friends of the pension board' rich
· Are paying much higher fees to Wall Street than they used to, whose advisors are putting them into riskier and poorer-performing vehicles (e.g. hedge funds) in a desperate reach for yield
Siedel's Top 10 Reasons Why Stealing From State And Local Public Pensions Is The Perfect Crime is reading certain to give nightmares to anyone depending on a public pension, or worried about being forced to bail out failed funds by paying higher taxes in the future:
I think there will be bailouts. The alternative is chaos, disaster, Armageddon. I mean, it's like when people say we should cut Social Security benefits. Well, the majority of people that get Social Security live on nothing but Social Security. If you cut Social Security benefits people will die. People will get sick. People will not be able to get healthcare. Elderly people will be thrown out of their homes, their apartments, whatever
Wall Street will say "We've got a solution!" They'll offer pension obligation bonds, whatever. The solution Wall Street offers always is: Pay us more fees. Pay us to underwrite bonds. There will be many "solutions" offered. Taxing property owners is always popular as well.
See the interview on Youtube using this link:
But, as bad as the pension nightmare seems on the surface, it's even worse below the covers. I recently had the chance to hear a true pension expert talk about how America's pension system is ripe for fraud and abuse and mismanagement.
Sure, pensions routinely overpromise, but it's actually worse than that. They … read more
Baby boomers face retirement crisis — little savings, high health costs and unrealistic expectations
As for personal savings, I'll make it simple: Most boomers have not saved nearly enough. In the worst case, it is really bad: 45% of boomers have zero savings for retirement.
According to the survey, 35% of Millennials who think they're worse off financially than they had expected to be don't have a savings account, and 33% of those who do have only $5,000 or less saved.
Retirement savings aren't faring any better for this group. Thirty-seven percent of millennials don't save for retirement at all, and 30% saves 10% or less a month, according to the survey.
There’s a generational breakdown occurring with increasing numbers of young people -- let’s define them as the under-30 crowd -- falling into despair, dismay and even outright demoralization over the state of the world. Put bluntly, many of them see nothing to gain by preserving the status quo.
Conversely, the over 50 crowd has already paid into the system and desperately wants to preserve the status quo. That’s where their retirement dreams exist. With their finger now on the brass ring, it’s simply unthinkable to ponder that it could slip out of their grasp.
This demographic divide, between those with nothing to gain and those with everything to lose, grows wider every day.
What are your thoughts? Feel free to leave a comment below…
Bruce ‘the Poor Man’
Free enterprise, limited government, individual freedom!
More Useful Resources!
Some of you might be thinking, "I'm a prepper, I won't have to scavenge for supplies. I already have everything I need." Maybe, maybe not. Even if you've been prepping for years, it's still possible you forgot a few things. But even if you didn't forget anything, you could still end up in a situation where you need something you never thought you'd need.
What if you have to take in a pregnant woman or a parent with a small child? You may have to go looking for baby formula. What if your mother's prescription medications are lost or destroyed? You may have to go looking for replacement meds. What if a crucial piece of gear is damaged? What if you need parts for your shelter or vehicle? These are just a few possibilities off the top of my head. There are dozens of situations you won't think of until you're in them.
The point is, you might have to scavenge for supplies after the shit hits the fan. If someone's life is on the line, you'll have no choice. But before I explain how to scavenge, I want to clear up some confusion about the difference between scavenging and looting...
If you’ve ever been in a real survival situation, you know how quickly your brain kicks into gear to create makeshift tools, weapons and other necessities that you don’t have with you out of whatever materials you can find laying around. Survivals hacks are these bit of wisdom that real survivors, experimenters, innovators (and bored out of their mind people) have created over the years. Below are a few top hacks. Hopefully, you’ll find them useful.
Soda Can Life Hacks
1. A pop can opener can be fashioned into a fishing hook.
2. Fill a soda can with oil and insert a rolled up paper towel into the opening. Light the paper towel and enjoy and oil “candle” that will last for hours.
3. Make a light out of the Coke can by cutting the side to make a “window” with the flaps that you cut serving as shutters. Place a candle inside of the can. As the candlelight reflects, it will be significantly intensified and you will have a relatively bright lantern.
Duct Tape Life Hacks
1. Use duct tape to repair:
1. Your water bottle
2. Hydration pack
2. Stick some duct tape on a lid of a jar that won’t open, leaving a piece loose. Pull on the piece and twist – the jar will open.
3. Stick a piece of duct tape on a deep cut or onto a chunk of flesh that was partially cut off to seal it when you have no bandaging material. This helps to piece the skin and flesh together. The downer? You’ll have to keep it there until you can get to a decent first aid kit (ripping it off is not pleasant.)
4. Freezing? Wrap duct tape to seal the gaps between your sleeves and your gloves, as well as between your boots and your pants to keep the heat from escaping.
5. Use duct tape as a brace and as a sling to protect the broken limb until you find more suitable materials (if you do).
Milk Jugs Life Hacks
1. Use empty milk jugs to build a raft.
2. One milk jug hack I saw recently relates to making a light. Fill the milk jug with water. Strap a headlamp onto it with the light facing in. Turn on. You will have a much brighter light.
Other Cool Survival Hacks
1. Place any kind of improvised wick into a jar of Crisco and light it. Now you have a functional candle that will burn for weeks!
2. Use any type of greasy chips (Doritos and Cheetos seem to work wonders) as tinder if there is none around.
3. Use a coffee can to create a portable stove (cut an opening on the side towards the bottom to feed in branches and other fuel.) It creates a concentrated source of heat to cook your food.
4. Apply some baby oil on the exposed skin to prevent (or at least delay) frostbite if you have to be out looking for food or supplies in freezing temperatures.
Have you discovered some hacks of your own? Don’t keep them to yourself! Share them with us.
htSustainable Eating – Food Preservation for the Modern Worldtps://youtu.be/rL-UV0GvRFo
Help Fallen Officers
Have gift cards to national chain stores that you’re not going to use? Send them to Concerns of Police Survivors [COPS] – the nonprofit will use them to assist families of fallen officers. Note the card balance and mail to: Concerns of Police Survivors at POB 3199, Camdenton, MO 65020
Contributors and subscribers enable the Poor Man Survivor to post 150+ free essays annually. It is for this reason they are Heroes and Heroines of New Media. Without your financial support, the free content would disappear for the simple reason that I cannot keep body and soul together on my meager book sales & ecommerce alone.
Ultra Safe Heater
A Safe Space Heater for Your Home!
What is the main concern about space heaters today? Safety. The Envi is not like any other heater you will find on the market. It is safe for the entire family. With the Envi, you can rest assured that your children and pets are safe and warm.
· The envi is cool to the touch. It reaches only 90 degrees F on the front surface.
· The envi has WallSens Technology. It will not heat without being mounted to the wall.
· The envi has a built in Automatic Thermal cutoff. If air from the envi exceeds a safe temperature, the envi heater will power off.
· The envi is wall-mounted. It cannot be knocked over, tipped over, or tripped over.
· The envi can be left on 24/7 unattended.
· The envi is fanless. It won't catch little fingers or hair.
With thought and foresight, the envi was born. We have created a safe space heater that will last for many years and keep you and your family safe.
The Envi is also a healthy space heater that is great for those with asthma or respiratory problems.
Save 20% by using this link!
You Can’t Buy Life Insurance After You’re Dead-Prepare NOW for Emergencies. Resources-Solar Chargers back in stock-Grab one now as they go fast. Our supply on eBay sold out in ten minutes!
*Available at our storefront – PLUS grab one of our popular emergency solar/wind-up/battery back-up power plants…
Find self reliance goods at:
Support our efforts by shopping my storefront…