Poor Man Survival
Self Reliance tools for independent minded people…
A Digest of Urban Survival Resources
Rescue Signaling: Techniques To Avoid Being Stranded
Hikers, kayakers and adventurous souls frequently get stranded in less than desirable areas. Same can happen in an SHTF scenario. One minute you are gathering wild raspberries or looking for a fresh water source, next – you have no idea where you are.
The effectiveness of the rescue signaling techniques depends on the extent of the situation, the availability of emergency services, your location, weather, etc. Remember to cater to your “audience.” If we are talking about a complete societal collapse, your audience is probably your friends, family or survival group and you may be using walkie-talkies and GPS or simply smoke signals. If the world as we know it is not over and your audience consists of emergency workers, locals and other adventurous souls, you can use a radio, phone and other, more primitive signaling tools. It is always best to notify your family or friends about your plans.
What to do first if you are lost or stranded:
1. If you have a whistle, use it as soon as you figure out that you are in trouble.
2. If you have a cell phone, contact 911. Remember, even if your phone is not in service, you can place an emergency call. Also, emergency workers will likely be able to determine your location because your phone is equipped with a GPS.
3. Tune in to local search and rescue frequencies and radio for help. If you are using a walkie-talkie or a radio, say “Mayday Mayday, Mayday!” and speak your name, location and number of people in need of rescuing. Repeat the information over and over.
What to do after you’ve already used electronic devices or if there are none:
1. Find a wide open area to make signals.
2. Use natural or man-made materials to create a sign or something that indicates that you are in trouble. Keep in mind that a common sign for help is triangle, meaning that you build signals in a shape of a triangle, whether it is fires, piles of bright clothing or piles of natural materials. For the benefit of aircraft, if you have an open enough area, you can spell “help.”
3. Use 3 fire signals in a shape of a triangle at night and smoke signals during the day. To create smoke signals, build a campfire first and then throw some live plants in it to create smoke. As always, take precautions to make sure your fires do not get out of control and spread to the surrounding vegetation. You can make a pit for each fire or you can dig a shallow trench around each fire.
4. Signal with a reflective object. Aircraft operators will likely notice a reflective signal. You can use a mirror, a Mylar blanket, a soda can or any other reflective object you happen to have. If your reflective surface is dull, polish it with sand or dirt.
5. Create commotion to attract attention. Movement is pretty easy to notice, especially if search and rescue workers do flyovers. Tie a large piece of clothing to a stick and wave it like your life depends on it (because it probably does!)
6. If you are on the move, leave signs pointing in the direction that you are heading so your rescue can track you down. It can be arrows made of rocks or other prominent signals.
Make a list of items that will help you signal for help and add them to your hiking bag. [Note: Don’t forget to order one of our 4Patriot Solar Chargers to keep your phone or other device going…they sell out quickly].
And take note:
If you own a device with a USB port, you’re gonna want to hear this…
This morning, I’m writing you from a hotel lobby.
And right in front of me on the desk in the lobby is a USB charging station.
I’m not gonna use it.
I don’t use USB chargers in any public place whether it’s a hotel lobby, airport or place such as Starbucks.
Well, I love this quote from a cyber security analyst who put it best…
“Plugging into a public USB port is kind of like finding a toothbrush on the side of the road and deciding to stick it in your mouth. You have no idea where that thing has been.”
To the young guys reading this, that quote also applies to meeting a random girl at a bar and going home with her.
Criminals can easily modify USB charging ports to install malware on your phone and then they have access to your personal data.
It’s kinda like how criminals put skimmers on ATM machines so that they can read your card and pin number and then have access to your bank account.
The good thing is, this is an easy problem to avoid.
Just bring your own charging cord from home and plug it into the regular wall outlet.
Or, use one of our “4Patriot Solar power banks” to charge your phone or other devices.
11 Ways to Signal for Help.
Yours for a more secure future,
Bruce ‘the Poor Man!’
Here are my ideas for new bill [s] to improve government…
>Since term limits never seems to gain any traction perhaps we should entertain the idea of zero pay for elected officials after their third term in office…give them their office, expenses, health insurance while in office and a living allowance only=much like our Founding Fathers and see how many decide to remain in office.
>Perhaps we need to resurrect a new version of ‘war’ bonds, perhaps calling them “government bailout bonds” to help pay off our national debt and/or to help pay for our massive deficits and proposed new spending projects since fewer foreign nations are buying our debt!
>An idea I've suggested before: Eliminate ALL city/state & Federal taxes on the 1st $25K of income for all people. 41% of citizens pay no Federal tax, many city/state taxes are killers for many. Tax laws that encourage more US manufacturing/jobs & elimination of red tape would help too.
Intruding on a Walmart meeting uninvited would be just the beginning for Sanders if he were elected president in 2020. His time in the White House would be marked by many more unfriendly visits to private businesses. Sanders has been watching how socialists regimes across the world behave, and he’s learned from his comrades.
Over the long term, nominal prices for stocks, commodities, crude oil, gold and silver rise. The primary driver is currency unit devaluation. That new Ford truck which cost $2,500 fifty years ago now costs $50,000. The dollar of 1913 is now a mini-dollar in purchasing power.
War with Iran at this time makes no sense whatsoever unless you look at it from a globalist perspective. The globalists are the only group that stands to gain from such catastrophe, as war with Iran would seal the fate of the US economy. The most immediate threat would be the potential shutdown of the Straight of Hormuz by Iran, which would take nothing more than sinking a few large cargo vessels along the narrow and more shallow portions of the straight, placing mine fields, or staging anti-ship missiles within striking range. The subsequent explosion in oil prices would be devastating to the global economy and the US economy would struggle under high energy prices even with expanded domestic oil drilling
‘American Soil’ Is Increasingly Foreign Owned (Thomas R.)
It’s likely that even more American land will end up in foreign hands, especially in states with no restrictions on ownership. With the median age of U.S. farmers at 55, many face retirement with no prospect of family members willing to take over. The National Young Farmers Coalition anticipates that two-thirds of the nation’s farmland will change hands in the next few decades.
Free enterprise, limited government, individual freedom!
Contributors and subscribers enable the Poor Man Survivor to post 150+ free essays annually. It is for this reason they are Heroes and Heroines of New Media. Without your financial support, the free content would disappear for the simple reason that I cannot keep body and soul together on my meager book sales & ecommerce alone.
You Can’t Buy Life Insurance After You’re Dead-Prepare NOW for Emergencies…
Finally, grab an emergency power cell or solar/battery radio weather radio!
Having the Patriot Power Cell on-hand for emergencies keeps your essential electronics up and running in case you need to call for help.
Back in stock soon!
RTIC Double Wall Vacuum Insulated Food Container Stainless Steel, 25oz Cold/Hot
We have a few RTIC brand cooling food canisters in stock. These canisters are just as good as Yetis…Limited quantity [also available in 17 0z. size]
A Smoking Frog Feature, Shallow Planet Production