Friday, July 3, 2009
4th of July Tips, Tricks n Tips from the PoorMan
4th of July Savings Bulletin
Cell Phone Tricks
>>>We know most Americans are addicted to cell phones and seems everyone wants an iPhone right now-even though they are expensive.
Personally, I’m not happy with many cell phone users as two of the last three car accidents we’ve experienced were due to folks texting while driving, the last one nearly killing us as a girl crashed a red light and totaled our car…and of course, like the previous idiots who hit us, she had no insurance so now you know why we’re called the Poor Man!
· Find the answer to anything by sending your question with a simple text to: GOOGL (46645) You’ll get an immediate answer free of charge. Example: seeking a movie playing nearby? Type the name of the flick and your zip code.
· Have a book wherever you go without buying an e-reader like Amazon Kindle. Go to tx2ph.com on an internet enabled phone. They offer 100s of books and short stories free.
· Want to find out what’s ahead on the road? At 3DmobileEyes.com, you can download a free app which allows a view of the live traffic cameras in your area on web enabled phones. You can use this app to pre-program your regular commute as well.
Want to sell your old cell phone? Go to: cellforcash.com or cashmyphone.com to find its value.
Repairs and Fix-its
As you know from our site, we’re big believers in do-it-yourself strategies for saving bucks. For example, if one of your appliances goes on the fritz and you can’t find the owners manual, get a replacement copy instantly at:
The free site offers guides to more than 850,000 manuals.
For free, simple how-to guides on 100s of home repair and other projects, go to:
Money-saving shipping idea
The postal service just gets more expensive and confusing with its shipping options…size does matter here! You may be surprised to learn that Priority Mail isn’t always the best option. First class mail is usually cheaper and usually gets to its destination the same day as a priority shipment would. The item must be 13-oz or less to qualify for 1st class shipping.
Gardening Tip to Boost Growth
Vegetables will bear more fruit if you water them using a mixture of 1 Tbs of Epsom salts and ½ gallon of water. This is much cheaper than buying commercial fertilizers.
The Consumer Federation of America connects you with local groups that are working on issues important to you and your family. Check them out at:
Want to find out information on major bills, the “stimulus” plan, special interest groups and a map to where congressional earmarks are going…check out this group at:
Homemade Ice Cream without a machine
Here’s a little 4th of July treat…takes about six minutes.
1. Place 1 cup whole milk & two tsp. Of vanilla in a quart size zippertop plastic bag and seal.
2. Combine 4 cups of ice and ¼ cup of Kosher salt into a gallon plastic zip-top bag. Place the smaller bag with the ice cream mixture inside the larger bag and seal.
3. shake the large bag vigorously for 6-8 minutes; avoid squeezing the bag. When the small bag gets plump, your ice cream is ready. You can either serve it immediately or freeze it. Be sure to wipe off any ice and salt. Make it extra tasty by experimenting with flavors by adding 3 tbs of your favorite instant pudding flavors…1/2 cup of fruit, crushed cookies, chopped nuts and so forth.
That’s it for this round…enjoy your Independence this holiday weekend and feel free to send me your input, tips, suggestions, etc. AND – circulate this (and our site) to your friends!
Yours for better living,
Bruce ‘the Poor Man’